Current Research Laboratory
Currently Prof. P. K. Nanda is directing the research in the "Image and Video Analysis Laboratory", a research laboratory at Siksha O Anusandhan University.The co-researcher in this lab is Prof. Niva Das, Professor Department of ECE, SOA University, Bhubaneswar. We carry out research predominantly in five broad areas such as : (i) Video object detection and tracking, (ii) Image Analysis using Soft Computing, (iii) Bio-medical Image Analysis, (iv) Bio-medical Image Registration and (v) Congestion avoidance and rate control in Wireless Sensor Networks.
We address five issues in this framework.
1. Firstly, we address the problem of detecting moving objects in underwater environment. In this problem, both camera and the object are assumed to be moving.
We use Markov Random Field (MRF) for image modeling and address the issue in EM framework.
Scholar: Susmita Panda
2. The second problem is detection of man-made objects in a given image sequence using Conditional Random Field (CRF) models. The CRF models learn to
detect the objects in a given scenario.
Scholar: Suchismita Behera
3. The third problem is detection of the video objects and their tracking using Background modeling in stochastic framework. We use Gaussian Mixture Modeling
(GMM) and its variants to model the complex scene and thereafter separate foreground from background.
Scholar: Subhaluxmi Sahoo
4. The forth problem is salient video object detection and tracking using Particle filtering. In this case we employ particle filters to detect the position of the objects
and thereafter track the objects.
Scholar: Jyotiranjan Panda
5. The fifth problem is textural background modeling and model learning using Local Binary Pattern (LBP).
Scholar: Subhabrata Acharya
6. In this research, we attempt to segment the images having unevenly lighting condition using rough set theory and granular computing. Specifically, we use
adaptive windowing technique and Pawlak's Rough set and Decision theoretic rough set to handle the unevenly lighting conditions of the image.
Scholar: Mamata Wagh
7. In this research, we try to estimate the bias field of the brain MR images and achieve segmentation based on the notion of clustering in fuzzy and possibilistic
framework. Specifically, we handle brain MR images from BrainWeb database and IBSR database. We are taking care of both bias field and noise
Scholar: Jeetashree Aparajeeta
Master's Student: Jayashree Halder
8. We have attempted to register multi modal images using the notion of mutual information. Particularly, we are attempting to register CT and MR images using
Scholar: Sunita Samant
9. This research focuses on developing protocols to avoid congestion in Wireless Sensor Networks. The traffic classes have been prioritized and the desired rate
control at different node is computed to avoid congestion in the network.
Scholar: Subha Kanta Swain
Previous Research Laboratories
Prior to developing the above laboratory, he established the research lab on "Image Processing and Computer Vision" at NIT Rourkela. He was Principal Investigator of many research projects carried out in this research lab. Besides, He had developed the "Communication and Signal Processing Laboratory" and "Real time and Embedded System Laboratory" at NIT Rourkela. He had also developed a research lab on "Image Analysis and Computer Vision"during his short stay at C.V. Raman College of Engineering, Bhubaneswar.